Director of Data & Analytics
Blue Orange is looking for a Director of Data Analytics to join our fast-growing team to help deliver transformational data platforms to our clients. We are laser-focused on building an amazing engineering team that helps our clients transform their relationships with data. The ideal candidate will be someone who is passionate about bringing the best data technologies to accelerate the delivery of value from data. We are looking for someone who is interested in rolling up their sleeves to help build this amazing team with us. We can promise a fast-paced environment with a ton of opportunities to have a huge impact.
Blue Orange is a highly distributed team, with offices in Alexandria, VA and New York City, and team members across the US and Latin America. This role is a hybrid/in-person in our Alexandria office.
- Lead teams of data engineers and data scientists to deliver on client projects.
- Recruit, hire, develop, and train a high-performing, world-class engineering team.
- Work with clients (product owners) to define the needs and requirements of data analytics projects.
- Keep up to date with the latest modern data stack technologies.
- Help clients evolve their use of data to derive more value from it.
- Create relationships with key members of client teams to build lasting partnerships and grow accounts.
- Help drive the overall technology and data strategy of Blue Orange Digital and the clients that we work with.
- Estimate project costs and resourcing requirements
- Evangelize the modern data stack to our clients
- Build out internal expertise and training around modern data practices to improve the team and overall client experience
Desired Skills & Expertise
- Proven expertise in Data Architecture including experience with cloud-first data and database implementations.
- Experience with the modern data stack, for example, Airflow, DBT, Snowflake, Databricks, ETL/ELT pipelines
- Excellent management skills and ability to develop engineering talent
- Expertise in cloud data services ecosystems such as OLTP, ODS, streaming products, and data lakes.
- Excellent understanding of data modeling concepts.
- Experience working in a fast-paced consulting role, balancing responsibilities across multiple client engagements.
- Experience building executive presentations and guiding strategic discussions at all levels of the organization.
- Consultative experience is a plus.
- 8+ years of experience in the data and analytics industry
- 5+ years of experience managing software engineering, data engineering, or data machine learning teams
- 3+ years of experience building cloud-based data platforms, on either AWS, Azure, or GCP
- 5+ years of hands-on experience
- 3+ years of technical management experience
- 2+ years of experience in professional services
- Expert level experience with Python and SQL. Experience in Scala, R, and other prevalent languages is a plus.
- Certifications in AWS, GCP, or Azure are a plus.